Saturday, February 19, 2011

Eggplant Parmesan


The Sauce:

  • 2 cans of 28 ounce whole tomatoes
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced or finely chopped
  • Olive Oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes (or more or less, depending on how spicy you feel)
  • 1 teaspoon of oregano, basil and another spices (sometimes I use Italian seasoning)
  • Black pepper and Kosher salt
Using a large pot, heat up some olive oil to medium heat. Cover the pan, maybe 2 tablespoons. Then add the garlic. Careful not to burn, or else you just need to start over fresh. Brunt garlic ruins things, and you can not save it. Once the garlic is cooked and smelling nice, add the tomatoes. Depending on if you like it chunky, you may want to puree the tomatoes in the food processor. I like it chunky, so I just use a potato masher to break up the tomatoes once they are in the pot. Cook for 10 minutes, then add the spices. Don't be stingy with the salt. I have no idea how much I use, I just keep adding and tasting. Cook for 10 more minutes.

The Eggplant
Slice up two eggplants, in 1/4 inch slices. Salt both sides liberally, and let them sit. I have mine sit on the counter under plastic wrap for a few hours. Doing this makes the eggplant much less bitter. After they have sat for the afternoon, I rinse off the salt. I just use cheapo regular table salt to do this.

Now get the assembly line ready. One dish with AP flour (about a cup), one dish with 3 beaten eggs, and one dish with 2 cups of bread crumbs. I just make my own bread crumbs by putting the ends of bread loaves into the food processor. Then, coat the eggplant in flour, then egg, then bread crumbs. I set them onto a cooling rack. Then you have to let them sit for about 15 minutes to firm up.

Get a nice pan with a half inch of canola oil in it. Heat the oil to a medium heat. Put about 4 or 5 slices of eggplant in. Fry for 3 to 4 minutes, flip and repeat. When you remove from the oil, allow to cool on a paper towel.

Now, assemble. And preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Coat a 9x13 baking dish with olive oil. Add a cup of the sauce. Layer of eggplant. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. More sauce, then more parmesan cheese, and another layer of eggplant. Another layer of parmesan cheese, the remainder of the sauce, then a good layer of mozzerella cheese. I use about 1 cup and a half of parm, and 2 cups of mozz. I find it key to when doing the layers, make sure you have parm cheese on all sides of the eggplant.

Bake at 375 with foil on top for 30 minutes, and then another 15 with out the foil, let the cheese get all brown and bubbly.

I'll work on a getting a picture of it up. Promise.

No comments: