Monday, March 28, 2011

12 Week Decluttering Plan

I was reading Women's Day (don't laugh, it's an awesome magazine, and even if you are in your 20's!), and there was an article in the April 2011 issue about decluttering, and gave a 12 week plan on how to do this.  I have been real good about it lately, but could always use some more help.  So, I'm up for the challenge!
Here is a link to the complete article.

But, here is my recap of it.

  • Week 1: Attack the Obvious.  Connor and the pit of toys for me.
  • Week 2: Bathroom. 
  • Week 3s and 4: Public Rooms.  This will be my living room and sun room.
  • Week 5: Kitchen.
  • Week 6: Clothing
  • Weeks 7 and 8: Bedrooms (I've got 3, mine, con's,and guest)
  • Weeks 9, 10, 11: Attic (don't have one), Basement, Garage, Home Office (AKA room of computer doom)
  • Week 12: Throw Yourself a Party!
So, Week 1 is under attack.

Women's Day says "Begin with the area that's motivated you to declutter in the first place".  That for me is the pile of toys in the basement.  I had made up a wonderful toy room for Connor, and moved all the toys to the basement (except books and a few board games).  You can see the transformation here.

I have come to realize there is just too much stuff down there.  So I am purging.  I am tossing anything that is broken, missing pieces, or generally pisses me off.  This means, McDonald's toys, cars without wheels, and things that make noise.  I have a growing pile of things that he has outgrown and will be put in a garage sale this Spring.  I will work on pictures later.  Wish me luck!

No comments: