Friday, July 16, 2010

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie


I've never made a strawberry pie, let alone, a strawberry rhubarb pie. I even tried out a new crust. Let us discuss.


Crust:
  • 1 stick of supa cold butter, cubed
  • 1 tablespoon of Crisco
  • 1 and 1/2 cups AP flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
  • 4 tablespoons of ice water
Combine butter/crisco/flour/salt into food processor. Pulse 3 times for 3 seconds. Put in the water, 1 tablespoon at a time, pulse for 3 seconds after each. Maybe you won't even need the last tablespoon, but I tend to always need it. Normally, I use lard for crusts (it's not gross, Crisco is gross - a fat that doesn't need to be refrigerator, and is stable at room temp. That is wrong. Stepping down from soapbox.) Form into a nice disc in plastic wrap, put in fridge for at least a half hour. This is my own trick now. I put a Silpat down, sprinkle just a tad of flour. Place dough disc on it, put the plastic wrap on top of it. And roll it out, keeping the dough between the plastic wrap and silpat. I have this god-awful marble rolling pin, and stuff just sticks to it. I want a nice wood one. (TWSS)

How about the filling?
  • 1 pound of strawberries, hulled and quartered
  • 1 cup of rhubarb chopped up, one inch pieces
  • 1 and 1/2 cups sugar, Turbinado please
  • 3 tablespoons of corn starch
  • 1 teaspoon Kosher salt

Mix this all together, fill the crust. I try to blind bake crusts, but I always junk that up. Put a few pats of butter on top of the filling for luck. Make the edges pretty. I cut off the hang over, then make a faux lattice on top. Bake for about an hour at 350.

No comments: