Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Tomato Sauce

  • About 20 Roma tomatoes
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 sweet red pepper
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • salt
  • pepper
  • basil
Peal and de-seed the tomatoes. Chop into eighths. Do the same with the pepper. Head olive oil to medium, cook chopped garlic for a moment. Don't let it burn! Add the tomatoes and pepper. Add salt, pepper and basil and cook forever, stir every once in awhile on low heat. Seriously, I let it simmer for at least a half hour. The tomatoes will break down by themselves in that amount of time.

It's a crazy amount of work for sauce that will cover MAYBE 2 pounds of pasta, I know. But, I like to control what I eat. I hate onions, and all store bought sauce has onions in it. I normally make my own sauce with a can of crushed tomatoes, but with fresh tomatoes in season, it was time to try it the hard way.

As Connor would say, "Tomato sauce, it's not growssy!"

No comments: